Now, you must be thinking isn’t coffee great already?
Yes, but there are ways you can make it even greater. Not every cup of coffee is the same. Its components and preparation methods contribute significantly to its taste and aroma.
Want to know what small changes to make to get that greatness in your coffee?
Coffee is all about the right quality and right quantity. When it comes to making the perfect cup, you need to have the right kind of ingredients.
Quick answer: The quality, freshness, roasting, and brewing methods are what makes coffee great.
Keep reading to know more!
What Contributes to a Good Cup of Coffee?
A lot of things contribute to a good cup of coffee, like the quality of your beans, how they were roasted, and how you brew your coffee.
Here are a few things that can help make your coffee great.
The quality of the coffee beans you use influences the taste and appearance of your coffee significantly.
To ensure that your coffee beans are of good quality, you can check the appearance of the beans and their color.
The better the quality of coffee beans you select, the more flavor you will experience in each sip.
The freshness of the coffee impacts its taste greatly. Always buy in small quantities and keep your coffee grounds in a vacuum-sealed jar to preserve their freshness.
Once exposed to oxygen, the coffee starts losing its freshness and its flavor as well.
Roasting coffee is undoubtedly a complex process, which if not done with care, can affect the flavor of the beans greatly.
It takes a lot of care and effort to bring out the flavor from each seed and thus, requires years of experience.
Brewed coffee is made by mixing hot water with coffee grounds. Whatever method you choose, it is the ratio that matters and determines how strong your coffee would be.
My recommended ratio is 1:16 i.e. for every 1 gram of coffee, add 16 grams of water. Although this is just a suggestion as you may have other ways of brewing.
Should I Put Milk and Sugar in My Coffee?
You should put milk and sugar in your coffee if you can’t handle the drink’s bitter taste. That said, doing so may contribute to weight gain, especially if done excessively.
On the other hand, coffee with milk and sugar has its benefits as well.
Although acidity in coffee varies, some coffees reach a pH level of 5.10. For people having acidity issues, it is recommended to add some milk to their coffee. This is because milk, especially non-fat milk, can temporarily buffer between your stomach lining and acidic contents.
Also, if you are intolerant to the bitterness of coffee but want to attain its health benefits, adding a bit of sugar to it helps with its taste.
Apart from sugar, milk in coffee also produces foam on top of it, which is great if you’re into coffee aesthetics!
Which One to Go For: Black Coffee Or Coffee With Milk?
This depends on what you’re looking for. If you’re not a fan of strong and bitter taste, then coffee with milk should definitely be your go-to. If you don’t like milk and can handle bitterness, then you should pick black coffee.
Either one of the drinks has its ups and downs. Milk is rich in calcium, a mineral that can be depleted by coffee, and adding it to your coffee can help offset that. But milk is also rich in calories and contains the natural sugar lactose, which does not bode well for some people.
Black coffee, on the other hand, has more caffeine and a much stronger taste. It does nothing to help with the depletion of calcium, but it is lactose-intolerant friendly.
Black coffee also contains high amounts of antioxidants, helping people fight several serious diseases such as cancer and multiple heart-related problems.
Coffee beans are also high in chlorogenic acids, consumption of which can help prevent high blood pressure.
Here is a table to help you decide better which one to choose.
|Types||Black Coffee||Milk Coffee|
|Calories||2 calories||31 calories|
|Caffeine Count||96mg in a cup||63mg in a cup|
How Do You Make Coffee Taste Better?
There are a lot of ways to make your coffee taste better.
Here are some easy tips which can help you improve the taste of your coffee!
- Clean your coffee machine – It is very important to clean your coffee machine once in a while in order to clean the leftover stale coffee grounds and water from your coffee maker. Stale particles of coffee can possibly be the cause of your coffee tasting sour.
- Be wise in choosing your coffee brewer – Coffee brewers can also affect the taste of your coffee. Choose one that is proven to make the kind of coffee you want to taste. If you can’t find a dutiful coffee brewer, try opting for a manual coffee maker.
- Check your water – Coffee is 98% water so don’t you think your water quality and temperature can also have a significant impact on the taste of your coffee? Believe it or not, using cold water to make your coffee will help your coffee taste better. Also, try using filtered water instead of plain tap water to keep the taste fresh and clean.
How Can You Make the Perfect Cup of Coffee at Home?
After going through all my tips and tricks to make your coffee great, I am sure you must be thrilled to try making a cup of your own.
Let me now share an easy recipe with you that you can make yourself.
Preparation time: 2 minutes
Cook time: 2 minutes
Serving: 2 cups
Total time: 4 minutes
- Ground coffee~ 2.25 ounces
- Filtered water~ 36 ounces
- Wash out your coffee filter with hot water.
- Put the coffee grinds in the filter.
- Give your water a good boil and let it rest for half a minute. The temperature of the water used or brewing should be between 195 degrees to 205 degrees.
- Now pour around 50-80 grams of hot water, in a circular motion, over the coffee grounds.
- Let the coffee grounds soak in water for about a minute.
- Stir gently while pouring the rest of the water.
- That’s it, your coffee is ready!
Don’t be afraid to experiment with anything that you feel will make your coffee great. Let your taste buds dictate your cup!
If you want to know more about how to make the perfect cup of coffee, watch the video below.
To Sum It All Up
In summary, the taste of the coffee can be influenced by the quality of the beans including its freshness, the way the beans are roasted, and the brewing method done to make the coffee.
For decades, people worked hard to make their coffee taste great. However, there is no set standard as tastes vary for each individual depending on preference, and sometimes health conditions.
It is important to keep in mind that the taste of coffee is not merely influenced by the coffee beans, but also by the selection of the method of preparing coffee to yield the desired result.
When you’ll be keen to keep your coffee-making machines clean and opt for high-quality, fresh ingredients, you are very much likely to experience a positive change in the taste of your coffee.
Once you’ll get the hang of the science behind making great coffee, I am sure you’ll prefer making it with your own hands instead of spending extra bucks on ready-made coffee.
Meanwhile, keep experimenting with your preferences until you know you’ve done it right.
What are you waiting for? Try making a cup for yourself today!
- Weird Things People Put in Their Coffee (Surprising!)
- Roasting Coffee At Home (Guide, Tips & More)
- Coffee Vs Tea (What Should You Go For?)