If you’re on a low-carb diet like keto or need to limit your sugar intake for health reasons like diabetes, it can be difficult to navigate the menu beyond a black coffee.
Unfortunately, many menu items contain a lot of sugar. You’re not alone if you’ve been left scratching your head over what to order to cut back on sugar.
But don’t worry, there are plenty of sugar-free options on the menu such as Espresso, Cappuccino, and Flat White. These options allow you to enjoy a satisfying beverage without increasing your sugar intake.
You can see in the table below that excluding sugar from your coffee significantly reduces the calorie content of the beverage thus helping you to lose weight.
|Black Coffee Without Sugar||Black Coffee With Sugar|
|2 calories||29 calories|
Keep reading to know more.
What Coffee Does Not Have Sugar?
Originally, coffee was sugar-free, but it’s the additives that add to the sugar content when mixed with coffee to make a latte or cappuccino.
Here is a list of coffees that you can opt for if you’re avoiding sugar:
Topping espresso with hot water produces a warm, soothing drink that’s sugar-free and high in caffeine.
A grande café Americano has only 15 calories, 2 grams of carbohydrates, and 0 grams of sugar.
Espresso is a concentrated coffee that contains a significant amount of caffeine in each serving.
It’s not only sugar-free, but a double shot of espresso at Starbucks only has 10 calories and 2 grams of carbs.
Brewed coffee roasts have only 5 calories and 0 grams of carbs and sugar per serving, making them an excellent choice for those following a low carb or low sugar diet.
Starbucks offers a variety of roasts, including blonde, dark, and Pike Place. Feel free to experiment with the various options to find your favorite.
Espresso macchiato is simply an espresso with steamed milk and foam on top.
It has only 15 calories, 2 grams of carbs, and 0 grams of sugar, though this can vary depending on the milk you use.
Cappuccino is made by combining espresso with a thick layer of milk foam.
The drink contains no added sugar. Nonetheless, a grande cappuccino made with 2% milk contains 12 grams of naturally occurring sugar from the milk.
As a result, rather than those following a low carb or ketogenic diet, it may be a better option for those looking to limit their intake of added sugar.
Made by combining short shots of espresso with steamed whole milk, the flat white is a concentrated coffee drink that’s low in sugar.
Although a tall serving contains 13 grams of sugar from milk, it’s free of added sugars, syrups, and sweeteners.
Caffè Misto is made up of equal parts brewed coffee and steamed milk.
It contains 10 grams of sugar from milk, similar to other coffee drinks, but it is made without added sugars.
Caffè latte, also known as a latte, is made with espresso, steamed milk, and a light layer of foam.
Although many people add sweeteners to their lattes, the drink itself contains no added sugar. Nonetheless, each 16-ounce (473-mL) serving contains 18 grams of milk sugar.
Cold-brew is a popular choice among coffee connoisseurs due to its rich, concentrated flavor.
Furthermore, it can be an excellent choice if you want to reduce your sugar intake. A grande cold brew contains only 5 calories and 0 grams of carbs or sugar.
Sugar-free add-ons like stevia, Splenda, or no-sugar vanilla syrup can be used to customize your cold brew.
Nitro Cold Brew
Starbucks’ Nitro Cold Brew, unlike their regular cold brew, is infused with nitrogen, giving it a smooth and creamy texture and flavor.
With only 5 calories and 0 grams of carbs and sugar per serving, it’s also a great sugar-free option on their menu.
Add a few pumps of your favorite sugar-free syrup, such as cinnamon dolce or vanilla, to your nitro cold brew for extra flavor.
Iced Flat Latte
The iced flat white, like the regular flat white, is made by combining espresso shots with whole milk and ice.
A grande iced flat white has 11 grams of sugar from milk and no sugary syrups, drizzles, or creams.
Iced Caffe Latte
This cool coffee drink combines fresh espresso, milk, and ice.
A grande iced caffé latte with 2 percent milk contains 11 grams of milk sugar. Nonetheless, it is free of added sugars, flavors, and toppings.
Iced coffee is a popular summer drink made by pouring freshly brewed coffee over ice.
Although it’s typically made with four pumps of classic syrup, you can significantly reduce the sugar content by substituting stevia and a dash of sugar-free vanilla or cinnamon dolce syrup.
Which Starbucks Drinks Have No Sugar?
There are some special Starbucks drinks that you can order if you want to go sugar-free. Let’s take a look at them:
This drink will have you exclaiming, “London, baby!” Here’s how you can get it: Request an Earl Grey tea made with three parts hot water and one part heavy cream. Then, ask for two pumps of sugar-free vanilla syrup.
This one isn’t on the menu, but your barista can make it upon request. Request an unsweetened peach citrus white tea with heavy cream or your preferred milk. Then ask for three or four pumps of sugar-free vanilla syrup. It tastes like a peach cobbler on ice.
Here is how you can make an Iced White Mocha Latte at home:
Starbucks’ pink drink is a cult classic, but its strawberry and acai base makes it extremely sweet. You’ll have to get creative and go off-menu to make this truly sugar-free.
Request a Passion Tango iced tea with heavy cream, four pumps of sugar-free vanilla syrup, and freeze-dried strawberries from your barista. You should avoid using coconut milk because it contains added sugar.
However, since strawberries are being added to this drink, you might end up consuming some sugar through that.
But if your store has a sugar-free strawberry syrup, you are all good to go.
Does Black Coffee Have Sugar?
No, black coffee is sugar-free, and it comes with many benefits.
Black coffee also benefits the heart. The strong antioxidants in it aid in keeping the organ healthy and then beating regularly. which can prevent all types of cardiovascular diseases.
Can You Sweeten Coffee Without Sugar?
Yes, you can sweeten your drink without sugar in plenty of ways, such as:
- Vanilla Extract
Vanilla extract is one of the simplest ways to sweeten your favorite beverage. It contains no sugar but tastes delicious! Start with half a teaspoon and see what you think.
Mint, like vanilla, has a naturally sweet flavor that complements coffee. You can flavor your coffee with fresh mint leaves or mint extract.
Cinnamon isn’t sweet, but the association may fool your taste buds! If you associate cinnamon with snickerdoodles, pancakes, or Mexican chocolate, a pinch in your morning coffee can make it taste sweeter.
- Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
Many vanilla almond milk brands contain added sugar, but unsweetened varieties can also make your coffee taste sweet! The creaminess of the almond milk, combined with a hint of vanilla, creates a satisfying cup of coffee.
- Cocoa Powder
Do you want a sugar-free mocha? Now all you’ve got to do is pour a spoonful of unsweetened cocoa powder into your coffee cup. You’ll get all of the rich chocolate flavors without all of the extra calories!
- Maple Syrup, Molasses, or Honey
If you prefer natural sugar in your coffee, try a spoonful of maple syrup, molasses, honey, or agave. These less-processed sugars are easier for your body to digest and will enhance the flavor of your coffee. Furthermore, while sweeteners such as honey have more calories than white sugar, they also taste sweeter.
The Benefits of Coffee Without Sugar
Now, there are plenty of benefits to coffees without sugar. Let’s take a look at them:
- It can help you improve your memory. The mind benefits from black coffee. It keeps the brain active, which aids in memory enhancement. It also helps to keep the nerves active, which helps to prevent dementia.
- It enhances your intelligence. Caffeine is a psychoactive stimulant that interacts with the body to improve mood, energy, and cognitive performance. As a result, you will become relatively intelligent over time.
- It cleans your stomach. Coffee is a diuretic beverage that causes you to urinate frequently. Toxins and bacteria can thus be easily flushed out by drinking black coffee without sugar.
- Can aid in weight loss. One of the most important health benefits of black coffee without sugar is that it promotes rapid weight loss. The beverage increases metabolism, causing you to work out more at the gym. Black coffee also aids in the burning of belly fat.
- Heart disease can be avoided. It is beneficial to the heart to drink black coffee without sugar. Coffee lowers inflammation levels in the body. As a result, the risk of cardiovascular disease is reduced.
- It boosts the antioxidants in your body. Black coffee is high in antioxidants. One cup of coffee contains vitamins B2, B3, and B5, as well as manganese, magnesium, and potassium.
- It lowers the risk of diabetes. Drinking black coffee lowers the risk of developing type 2 diabetes. It is a potent drink that can cure diabetes. Particularly if it runs in the family.
- A drink that will age gracefully. One of the most significant health benefits of black coffee without sugar is that it helps to keep the mind and body young. This beverage, when consumed twice daily, can help prevent Parkinson’s disease. Caffeine raises dopamine levels in the body.
- By drinking two cups of black coffee without sugar, you can say goodbye to cancer. This drink contains anti-cancer properties that help to reduce the risk of colorectal cancer and, as a result, can reduce the risk of liver cancer by 40%. So drink up to avoid contracting this deadly disease.
- It brings you joy. Drinking black coffee can improve your mood. One cup of this delectable beverage can significantly improve your mood. It is also the most effective treatment for depression.
My go-to drink whenever I am avoiding sugar is cafe Americano, it has this great taste that goes with my taste buds and gives a relaxing effect.
Now if you want something to sweeten your drink, I’d prefer you go with vanilla extract and cinnamon.
With this, if you plan on going sugar-free, it comes with many health benefits.