Coffee is the magical fix that many of us seek first thing in the morning, or afternoon, or whatever time we start our day.
And a good coffee machine can enhance your overall experience of brewing the perfect cup of coffee.
It’s important to pick a machine that will give you the best coffee without breaking the bank.
There are many affordable and reliable coffee machines available on the market each with its own set of unique features, customization options, and pricing.
Also, a good coffee machine is an investment that will last for a long time.
Before making a purchase decision, it’s a good idea to carefully consider the price, features, and reviews for the best options. As I previously stated, a coffee machine is an excellent investment, particularly for coffee addicts like you and me.
Short Answer: According to my research, the best coffee machines you can have for your home are Breville BES870XL Barista Express Espresso Machine or the De’Longhi Dedica EC680M.
In this article, I’ll explain why I believe they’re the best coffee machines for your home and why it’s worthwhile to invest in them. Come along with me as we take a close look at each.
What should you consider in a coffee machine?
There are numerous factors to consider when purchasing a coffee machine and the majority of what to weigh are the cost, preference, and convenience.
- Convenience: Do you prefer an almost hands-off coffee-making experience in the morning? I said almost hands-off because you still need to press a button or 2. When you wake up, a programmable electric coffee machine will have your coffee ready. Less automated electric machines may require a little attention but they still get the job done with a push of a few buttons.
- Space saver: Although a coffee maker and an espresso machine are two separate machines, hybrid machines that can do both are now available. Having two machines on your counter will take up a lot of space, so it’s a good idea to buy a single machine that can make both espresso and coffee perfectly.
- Brew Size: There are coffee machines that can brew just the amount you need – from a cup to a family-sized carafe! While some machines provide a wide range of brew sizes, others are limited to a smaller selection. Single-cup brewers are ideal for households where everyone wakes up at different times or people who live alone. Large brewers can brew 10 to 12 cups at a time but be aware that the “cup” I just mentioned is only 5 to 6 oz.
- Timing: If your family enjoys drinking coffee throughout the day, better to purchase a coffee machine that includes a thermal carafe to keep the coffee piping hot no matter what time of day it is. For families with busy mornings, a pod machine can be a good option because it allows you to make a quick cup of coffee without having to worry about leaving your machine on.
- Sizing: Though the size of the coffee machine has no effect on your cup of joe, it can give you a headache if it can’t fit in the space you want to put it. Make sure to measure the size of your machine and account for the need to open the machine’s top to add grounds and water. You also have to consider the size of your mug when purchasing a single-serving machine because many larger mugs will not fit beneath the brewer.
- Custom Brewing Options: The most basic machines have almost no option other than adding coffee grounds and water whereas more complicated ones allow you to select your preferred water temperature, brew strength, and brew size.
- Extra Features: Some machines go above and beyond the brewing options such as offering smart options like timed brewing, auto-shutoff, or a thermal carafe to keep the coffee warm for a longer period of time. Some models also have audible alerts or light indicators when your coffee is ready. Higher-end machines have additional features like bean grinding, milk frothing, and notifications when the machine needs cleaning. While espresso machines and hybrid brewers have the most options, they also have the most expensive price tags.
If you’re interested to know the best coffee blends you can brew at home, check out my comprehensive post right here.
Which coffee machine is best for your home?
An espresso machine is perfect for your home as it can be used to make a wide range of specialty coffees, including flat whites, mochas, cappuccinos, and more.
People nowadays prefer specialty drinks to a simple cup of drip coffee. A lot now favor the robust flavor of espresso shots to give them that needed caffeine boost!
If you’re the type who prefers a strong espresso flavor, I recommend purchasing an espresso machine for your home because it allows you to explore the world of craft coffee.
Having an espresso machine at home simplifies coffee preparation. You can check out my other post here for a more in-depth look at espresso.
An authentic espresso machine can be a great asset to your ultimate coffee experience as it can lift your mood by allowing you to control the taste and flavor of your drink.
I prepared a table for you that compares the key differences between an espresso machine and a coffee maker that can help in your purchasing decision.
|Basis of comparison||Espresso machine||Coffee maker|
|Brewing method||Gives you finer grinds of espresso within 25-30 seconds||The coarser grind of drip coffee takes about 10 minutes.|
|Roasting method||Bean roasts are much darker, richer, fuller, and less acidic||Roasts are lighter and more acidic.|
|Grinding method||Involves fine, powder-like coffee grinds||Involves coarse-thick coffee grinds|
After conducting my research and reading several online reviews, I’ve come up with the best yet affordable espresso machines that I think will be a blessing in your home.
Of course, the final decision on which one to purchase depends on you so continue reading the article to gain a better understanding of the characteristics of each machine.
Breville BES870XL Barista Express Espresso Machine
If you want to have that ultimate homemade coffee experience, go for the Breville BES870XL Barista Express Espresso Machine.
This semi-automatic espresso machine is a little more pricey than other models. But when you consider its top-notch features it’s actually worth it.
It’s simple to use and its attractive stainless-steel body makes it easy to clean. This straightforward espresso machine represents excellent value for money.
Breville Barista Express has manual settings as well as a variety of adjustable controls that allow you to customize your shot. However, this machine isn’t suitable for beginners because you must have lots of patience to operate it.
If you want something with less fuss, you can buy a fully automatic machine but be prepared for its price.
The most useful features of Breville BES870XL Barista include:
- Built-in grinder
- Easy adjustment for grind size
- Hot water dispenser
- Integrated charcoal filter in the water tank
- A sufficiently weighty tamper
Overall rating: 4.5/5
- Coffee quality: 4.5/5
- Design and Features: 4/5
- Durability: 4.5/5
- Easy of use: 4.5/5
Price: Ranged between $700-$800 depending on the retailer.
- Quite expensive
- Requires regular cleaning
- Not suitable for coffee shops
De’Longhi Dedica EC680M
This machine is simple to operate. It comes with pre-measured filters to ensure the proper blend when making your favorite espresso variant. This also allows for the precise addition of coffee grounds in each use.
Though the body of De’Longhi EC680 is made mostly in plastic, it is durable. You can also program it using the 4 major functions that include:
- Brew temperature
- Water hardness
- Programmable shot size
The best characteristics of this espresso machine include:
- A 15-bar espresso pressure which is the industry standard
- Super slim design
- 3 temperature settings
- Have a built-in milk frother for milk-coffee varieties
Overall Rating: 4.3/5
- Coffee Quality: 4/5
- Design and Features: 4/5
- Durability: 4.5/5
- Easy of use: 4.5/5
Price: Ranged between $300-$400 depending on the retailer.
- Less customizable options
- Some boiler overheating concerns
You can learn more about how to purchase the best coffee machine for your home by watching the video below.
Will expensive coffee makers make better coffee?
While expensive coffee makers will undoubtedly produce an exceptional cup of coffee if you use high-quality coffee, lower-to-mid-tier machines can also produce excellent coffee if you choose the right brand and model.
The brand you choose has a significant impact on the quality of the coffee you make in your home.
No matter what your budget is, whether you are looking for a top-tier coffee maker or a quality brewing system that won’t break the bank, choosing the right brand and model is essential.
When deciding whether to buy an expensive coffee machine, ask yourself if you really need the extra features it comes with.
Extra features drive up the price significantly and they aren’t always necessary in a coffee machine.
Whether you decide to buy an expensive coffee machine or an affordable one, it’s important to remember that a coffee machine is only as good as the coffee grounds you put in it.
I have an entire article dedicated to how the quality of coffee matters which you can read here.
To sum it all up
In terms of price and features, I’ve chosen 2 of the most popular and well-reviewed machines that you can purchase for your home and these are the Breville BES870XL Barista Express Espresso Machine and the De’Longhi Dedica EC680M.
The De’Longhi Dedica is a good choice for beginners because it’s reasonably priced and has excellent features.
The Breville BES870XL Barista Express Espresso Machine on the other hand is a bit pricey, but it comes with extra benefits for those who are willing to invest in their cup of joe.
Appliances are always a good investment and for us coffeeholics, that would be coffee machines.
The more expensive models not only have more advanced features, but they’re also more durable in the long run but then it also depends on how much you use and care for it.
The best coffee machine for your home is one that’s easy to use and meets all of your personal preferences like being customizable, space-saving, and one that doesn’t make you cringe when you see its price.
It’s always a good idea to read actual customer reviews on the brand before making a purchase to back up its claims.